Wednesday, January 1, 2014

20140101-20140102. Bicol. Legazpi and Daraga


20140101. Bicol. Lignon Hills, Legazpi and Cagsawa Ruins, Daraga

 

Mayon Volcano





If you are already sure about the date that you are going to leave for Bicol, make sure that you buy your tickets early. I was at the Bus terminal on the morning of December 31, 2013 to buy a 9PM ticket for January 1, 2014 but almost all of the bus companies were already sold out for the that day and for the next day. I was just lucky that there were still a few seats left on Alps Bus for 4PM on January 1 so I gladly took it. This was the start of my journey to finally meet the gentle giants of Donsol, Sorsogon. But first, Bicol!

Itinerary:
Day 0. January 1, 2014
1600 ETD Shopwise Cubao to Legazpi. The Alps bus regular with AC. I liked this bus. It was comfortable for a medium built person like me.
1900 Stopover 1. Eat supper.

 
Shopwise Cubao Terminal
 


Day 1. January 2, 2014
0100 Stopover 2. Near Camsur tourist inn.


0300 ETA somewhere between Legazpi and Daraga. I initially planned on alighting at the Bus Terminal at Legaspi City but the bus conductor informed me that I could get to Donsol faster from Daraga. I took my chances. I walked around and found that my luck hasn’t ran out, I was just a few minutes away from my first authentic Bicol dish, Laing.

At least I knew where I was



I stumbled upon a Bigg’s Diner. Drank coffee and ordered their Bicol special. The place has a very nice ambience, good food and kind people. I would recommend the Bicol special for the Laing, I wish I tried their Bicol Express though. I’ve never actually tried Laing or Bicol Express outside Bicol because I didn’t think it looked appetizing before. My trip to Bicol changed all that, and I’m now a fan of their dishes.



I wanted to stay until the sun rises so I can easily go around the city but then thinking of watching the sunrise fall on the perfect cone that is Mayon Volcano tickled my fancy. I was soon up on my feet.

The staff of Bigg’s Diner were very helpful. They gave me detailed directions to get to Lignon Hills. In the morning, there would be jeepneys passing by Bigg’s Diner going to the entrance of Lignon Hills. But at such an ungodly hour as 4 in the morning, the only way is for a special trip on a tricycle. It was a good thing that there were still tricycles just across the diner.

0410 ETD Bigg’s Diner to Lignon Hills via Tricycle. I don’t advise people to travel around while it’s still dark. Besides, travel fare would be a lot cheaper in the morning. But I was already there and it was still very dark and nobody else were around. I just held on to the comfort that at least the staff at Bigg’s Diner knew where I was going. But more often than not, we need to trust in the kindness of strangers.

0425 And most of the times, trust is answered by kindness. ETA foot of Lignon Hills. The driver was nice, he pointed me to the direction where I had to go and asked me to wait for the light before I start my mini-trek since It would be hard to see anything at the time. When I insisted that I wanted to go up then and there so I can still catch the light from the city, he gave me a lighter with flashlight to help me on my way.

Night Version



0450 ETA Viewing deck of Lignon Hills, they say that it’s the best place to view Mayon. I would’ve agreed to that if I didn’t know the dramatic effect that the Ruins of Cagsawa brings to the view of Mayon. I would rather say that both Lignon Hills and Cagsawa Ruins are must go places if you are going around Bicol.


Waiting for the first light of dawn was worth it

View of the City from Lignon View Deck

Me and Mayon

I went around to check the available activities in the area, but all of these are close at this time. Explored around and saw the lights of Bicol from every direction. By 5AM, there were a few people already having their morning run or doing yoga in the park. The entrance to the park is free around this time. Rested and waited for dawn.



Activities and places of interest in Lignon Hills includes:
Paintball
Japanese Tunnel
Kapituko (I think these are wooden ladders that you can climb)
Hanging Bridge
Rapelling
Zipline Basic
Zipline Superman
Viewing Deck
Minigolf
Lignon Hill Observatory
Refreshment Center
Souvenir Shops

Morning Verison
Last look from Lignon Hills

0630 ETD Lignon hills to Cagsawa Ruins. Back to the base of the hill. There are jeepneys going to Binitayan that passes by just outside the entrance of Lignon hills. Ask the driver to take you to the intersection where you would find another jeepney going to Cagsawa. It’s not far from the intersection so make sure you inform the driver where you would need to go down. There’s a sign board on the right side of the road pointing to Cagsawa Ruins.

Entrance to the foot of Lignon Hills

0650 ETA Road to Cagsawa. Walked to Cagsawa Ruins. There is an ATV rental place on the way to the entrance of the Ruins. I think it would’ve been nice to try that especially since the river which I think is part of the ATV trail looked so cool. There are food places and a lot of souvenir shops here.




0700 ETA Cagsawa Ruins. It was so early in the morning that the only people there were me, a small family, and the caretaker. The food places and the souvenir stores were still closed at the time. You need to pay P10 for the entrance fee.

View from the entrance of Cagsawa Ruins

Ruins has never lacked in elegance. I’ve always seen this view from postcard, but actually going there and personally seeing it is something else entirely. There is a certain charm in places like this and the view of Mayon as a backdrop to the ruins just added an infinite feel of romance in the area.


How many memories, vows and promises have these two have been a part of?


Me, Mayon and Cagsawa Church Tower


There is more to the place than just the church tower with Mayon. The walls and the ruins of the old world was still there. It makes you wonder of how grand things were before this place turned to a ruin. There is also a large rice field at the back of Cagsawa with a beautiful view of Mayon.


Being in these walls felt solemn that morning because there was nothing there but silence that speaks of the past
Mayon Volcano


 0730 ETD to Daraga Caltex to head to Donsol. After a while of exploring and committing the view to memory, I decided to head to Donsol. I went back to where the jeepney dropped me earlier, crossed the streets and waited for a jeep to Daraga,

0745 ETA Daraga Caltex. I didn't see any vans, but there were jeepneys bound to Pilar and Donsol. I walked around Daraga first to check how things are there and because just across the street is a huge market place.

0820 Finally boarded the Jeepney but it still waited for 20 minutes at Caltex and then waited another 20 minutes at Shell. Had I known, I went to shell instead since I passed there earlier. Jeepneys would take two hours to reach Donsol. And I’ve heard that the Vans would only take an hour. But I don’t mind, there are more experiences and places to see when taking roads that are less traveled. And now, off to Donsol!


Itinerary:
Day 0. January 1, 2014
1600 ETD Shopwise Cubao to Legazpi. The Alps bus regular with AC. I liked this bus it was comfortable for a medium built person like me.
1900 Stopover 1. Eat supper

Day 1. January 2, 2014
0100 Stopover 2. Near Camsur tourist inn
0300 ETA somewhere between Legazpi and Daraga. Walked around asking for directions.
Stumbled upon Biggs Diner. Drank coffee and ordered Bicol special. Nice ambience, food and people. They gave me detailed directions to get to Lignon Hills on specific times of the day.
0410 ETD Biggs Diner to Lignon Hills via Tricycle.
0425 The driver was nice and even game me a lighter with flashlight since it was still dark then.
0450 ETA viewing deck of Lignon Hills. Rested and waited for the sunrise
0630 ETD Lignon hills to Binitayan to Cagsawa Ruins via 2 jeepney rides
0650 ETA Road to Cagsawa. Walked to Cagsawa Ruins
0700  ETA Cagsawa Ruins
0730 ETD to Daraga Caltex to head to Donsol
0745 ETA Daraga Caltex. I didn't see a van, but there were jeepneys bound to Pilar and Donsol. Walked around Daraga before finally taking the jeepney
0820 The Jeep waited for 20 minutes at Caltex and then waited another 20 minutes at Shell. Had I known, I went to shell instead since I passed there earlier. (The jeep would take two hours, Vans would take an hour.)
1030 ETA Donsol


Expenses in Peso:
Day 1
700 The Alps Bus. Shopwise, Cubao to Legazpi, Bicol
142 Breakfast at Biggs Diner
85 Cappuccino at Biggs Diner
70 Tricycle to Lignon Hills
8 Jeep. Lignon Hills to Binitayan
8 Jeep. Binitayan to Cagsawa
10 Cagsawa Ruins Registration
8 Jeep to Daraga Caltex
60 Jeep. Daraga to Donsol
20 Tricycle. Shared with 3 people. Donsol Port to Tourism Center
500 Woodland Resort Backpackers Room
85 Tricycle. Woodland Resort to Ogod River. P250 Good for 4
250 Firefly Watching Tour. P1250 good for 5
250 Supper at Woodland Hotel. Bicol Express
_________________________________________
1519


View Complete Itinerary and expenses:
http://rommelfabro.blogspot.com/2014/01/20140101-summary-solo-backpacking.html


Other things to do in Donsol

Helpful Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment